I reflected on my own experiences as I engaged with this weeks reading around instructor-centered versus student-centered learning. I found the more student-centered learning environments encouraged me to become a more confident learner. Courses set up in this way invite critical and analytical thinking, promote engagement with the materials/theories etc. being presented, and provide the student with a sense of ownership over their own learning path. As Crosslin (2018) said, this arrangement could be described as “guide on the side” (pp.2). This reminded me of something I say at the beginning of my yoga classes “this is your practice, your body is truly the wisest teacher in the room, and I am just here to guide you.” Therefore, even though, arguably, the teacher, in whatever environment, holds a position of “power’ there is an invitation for the student to take agency over their own learning. It is not as welcoming and engaging when it is an instructor-centered learning environment. Additionally, an instructor-centered environment does not always cultivate individuality and a sense of ownership over ones own learning path. In contrast to student-centered, instructor-centered is described as “sage on the stage” (Crosslin,2018.pp.2).  Moreover, the “more the instructor focuses on themselves as the center of the course…the more students will rely on them as the one to tell them everything… and to fix everything.” (Crosslin,2018.pp.2) Therefore, one can discern, that critical thinking and problem solving might be comprised in this arrangement for instead of thinking for themselves and engaging authentically with the learning at hand they are simply being told.

An additional learning factor discussed in our materials this week was synchronous, versus asynchronous learning. Synchronous learning is where students are learning all together, whether in person or online. It is an“experience for each participant [that] is synchronized with the other participants.” (Crosslin,2018.pp.5) Contrastingly, asynchronous learningis where “learners consume the materials at different times, post to discussion boards at the different times, and complete assignments at different times.” I think, Crosslin (2018) presents “the goal of any course should be to push learners into a place of learning how to learn about the course topic, so they can become self-directed learners.” (Kop & Fournier, 2011; Crosslin,2018.pp2) Therefore, having the course be primarily asynchronous learning is a positive as it provides the student with the responsibility to take charge of their learning whilst allowing for flexibility.

Lastly, within this weeks materials we explored the concept of connectivism, “the integration of principles explored by chaos, network, and complexity and self-organization theories.” (Siemens, 2005.p.5.pp.5) I thought it was very intriguing that “[c]onnectivism is driven by the understanding that decisions are based on rapidly altering foundations.” (Siemens, 2005.p.5.pp.6) I have attached a youtube video below of Dr. George Siemens (2013) where he discusses connectivism; where it came from and what it means. I found it helpful to hear him speaking as this concept does not resonate deeply as I expected it to. I believe this is primarily because I need to build more of an understanding.  

Word Count (not including references): 500

Crosslin, M. (2018). Basic Philosophies of Distributed and Open Learning. https://uta.pressbooks.pub/onlinelearning/chapter/chapter2-basic-philosophies/

Connectivism: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age. Siemens, G. (2005). International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, 2(1). Retrieved from https://edtechuvic.ca/edci339/wpcontent/uploads/sites/5/2020/01/Connectivism-A-Learning-Theoryfor-the-Digital-Age.pdf

University of the Sunshine Coast. (2013-2014). Dr. George Siemens discusses connectivism – where it came from and what it means. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx5VHpaW8sQ

Photo by Green Chameleon on Unsplash